The great man is he who does not lose his child's heart. (Mencius, Chinese philosopher 372-289 BC)

Sunday 19 May 2013

When You're There, Be There

The Weekend Picture No. 47
From www.blog.laptopmag.com
I love my iphone and I love my kids.
 
I love spending time with my kids and I am rarely, if ever parted from my iphone.
 
In fact, if I am parted from my iphone then I tend to come out all in a fluster.
 
I am often, on the other hand, parted from my kids. And I am rarely to be found all of a fluster when I am parted from them.
 
As a result, I was challenged this morning by the minister at my church when he relayed some advice he had been given this week.
 
"When you are with your kids, are you really with them? Or is your attention distracted by the device in your pocket/ on your coffee table."
 
That challenged me because I often find myself distracted by emails pinging in, breaking news stories on my Sky News App or by tweets and other equally vital missives from the outside world that have found me because my iphone has made me permanently available. Or rather, because I have allowed my iphone to make me permanently available.
 
So, I have made a pledge. When I am with my kids and my lovely wife my iphone will have to play second fiddle. It may find itself being shut in a drawer or even being switched off.
 
When I am with them - I will really be with them.
 
The outside world can wait.
 
Speak soon
JH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...